The award-winning WKBN 27 First News is searching for an experienced Investigative Multimedia Journalist to work with editorial managers to identify, research, investigate and present stories daily. The Investigative MMJ will appear on camera to present live or pre-recorded segments, shoot and edit their own video and write their stories. This position will involve crafting new and innovative ways of storytelling through analysis and visualizations.
The Investigative MMJ collects, analyzes and presents daily enterprise stories through broadcast, online and future media. The Investigative MMJ must have excellent research and interview skills, and have a solid knowledge of journalistic ethics and applicable legal matters.
The person for this position is self-motivating, driven and possesses strong integrity.
- Digs deeper into a story through public records and FOIAs
- Arranges interviews with people who can provide information about stories
- Pitches stories which are relevant to the local community
- Receives assignments and evaluates leads and tips to develop story ideas
- Discusses issues with producers and/or news managers to establish priorities and viability of stories
- Reviews copy and corrects errors in content, grammar and punctuation, following prescribed editorial style and formatting guidelines
- Revises work to meet editorial approval
- Ensures that all content meets company standards for journalistic integrity and production quality
- Maintains presence and engages professionally on social media
REQUIREMENTS & SKILLS:
- Prior Investigative experience is a must
- Strong on-air reporting, writing and technical skills with at least 1 year experience in a commercial television station
- Bachelor's degree in Journalism, or related field, or an equivalent combination of education and work-related experience
- Must have strong database management, data interpretation, and presentation skills
- Superior multi-tasker, organizer and planner
- Digitally proficient and self-educating on new applications and tech
- Strong written and oral grammatical skills with a demonstrated ability to edit and self-edit.
- Ability to meet deadlines and prioritize assignments
- Valid driver's license and acceptable driving record
- Flexibility to work any shift and weekends
- Knowledge of broadcast quality camera equipment
- Detail oriented
- Conflict management
WORK ENVIRONMENT/MENTAL/PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS: Position requires the operation of camera, camera equipment, computer and editing machine, and transport of equipment weighing up to 60 lbs. High stress environment with deadline pressures. Travel will be required on a regular basis. Work may be performed in extreme outdoor temperatures. A valid driver's license and an acceptable driving record are required.
NOTE: This job description contains the basic requirements for the position and is NOT intended to be a complete list of responsibilities; other duties may be assigned.
********* EOE/MINORITIES/FEMALES/VETERANS/DISABLED *********