33 WYTV News in Youngstown, Ohio is looking for a working journalist to join our evening news team.
This is not an entry-level position. Some previous work on the anchor desk is absolutely necessary, but this is a great opportunity for a reporter in a larger market, or a weekend anchor/reporter, to get primary anchor experience. The person who gets hired will shoot, write, report, produce, and anchor or co-anchor newscasts. WYTV broadcasts evening news at 6pm, 7pm and 11pm. WYTV’s brand is focused on the community, and that means you will have to develop sources, then work those sources to turn stories that are worthy of a primary anchor.
The 33 WYTV team works side-by-side with Youngstown’s CBS & FOX news team to produce top-quality local content. Our anchors are also our brand champions – rewriting stories shot for the other stations to fit what our audience wants, finding ways to strengthen our brand through the original stories we shoot. Our anchors are also expected to represent the station at parades, festivals and other community events throughout the year.
You’ll get to live in a community with great food, great people and one of the largest city parks in the country. If you like to get outdoors after work, check out Mill Creek Metroparks. Youngstown is also midway between Pittsburgh and Cleveland. You can be at a Browns or Steelers game in about an hour.
JOB SUMMARY: Deliver newscasts and news stories accurately, clearly and concisely and in an engaging manner.
Principal Duties & Responsibilities:
• Evaluate news leads and tips to develop story ideas. Gather and verify accurate information regarding articles through interviews, remark as well as research.
• Build network of sources who supply information that allows the Company to stay ahead of its competitors.
• Present compelling, clear, creative and accurate live shots.
• Organize material and write articles based on the details and information obtained.
• Use various social platforms to give updates as well as news stories to the public.
• Solid vocal delivery, camera presence, and clear enunciation.
• Strong reporting skills.
• Understand importance of social media.
• Excellent reading, writing, spelling, grammar and organizational skills.
• Promotes teamwork and maintains attitude of cooperation with all station personnel.
Education/Experience: Bachelor’s degree in Communication/Journalism or related degree (equivalent years of experience may substitute for education); plus (1) year television anchoring or reporting experience required.
Work Environment/Physical Requirements: Position requires the operation of camera, camera equipment, computer and editing machine, and transport of equipment weighing up to 60 lbs. High stress environment with deadline pressures. Travel will be required on a regular basis. Work may be performed in extreme outdoor temperatures. A valid driver's license and an acceptable driving record are required. Position requires work on holidays, some weekends.
NOTE: This job description contains the basic requirements for the position and is NOT intended to be a complete list of responsibilities; other duties may be assigned.
********* EOE/MINORITIES/FEMALES/VETERANS/DISABLED *********
Apply online at http://www.wkbn.com/about-us/work-for-us